xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' workingforwellness: Zucchini Squash--kids WILL eat it!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Zucchini Squash--kids WILL eat it!


Hey, my favorite new store to the area (Lake Travis, Texas) is a Newflower market.  I shop their produce sale and cook accordingly.  This recipe is on my website, but VERY popular at my house--so thought I would re-post it here!--
Remember to involve your children in shopping and cooking...they will be much more likely to try new foods that way.  
be sure to read my "Traci's Tips"/ changes at the bottom of the recipe!     
When my son was younger- we called this "crabby patties"!
PREP TIME   10 Min 
      COOK TIME   20 Min 
      READY IN   30 Min
adapted from allrecipes.com
INGREDIENTS
    * 2 cups grated zucchini
    * 2 eggs, beaten 
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion 
    * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
    * 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
    * 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    * salt to taste
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
DIRECTIONS:
   1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
   2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.
TRACI’S TIPS…
I did this recipe with liquid egg whites, less cheese (stronger flavor- like feta),  no oil, no salt, added garlic
I sprayed pan with olive oil spray, sprayed top of other side of pattie while cooking…THEN…flipped the pattie and cooked more
We’ve added shrimp and other fun stuff to them…using less fat, I sometimes add cornstarch to thicken up the mixture a little

1 comment:

  1. These sound delish!! Gage would LOVE them if I called them 'crabby patties'... just like Sponge Bob! =)

    ReplyDelete