xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' workingforwellness: Ode to Spaghetti Squash

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Ode to Spaghetti Squash



Pardon me if I have professed my love of spaghetti squash in the past.
http://working4wellness.blogspot.com/2012/05/ode-to-spaghetti-squash.html
oh and a few on here................https://www.facebook.com/Working4Wellness1/

It is sad that I did not learn of it until a few years ago, but it was worth the wait!  When I started eating gluten free, it was hard at first without any pasta.
I am used to "no pasta" now, but every once in a while...a plate of comfort (aka spaghetti dinner)....was all I could think of...

Image result for spaghetti squashEnter stage right... the awesome star of my weekly menu, the spaghetti squash.
A cup of white spaghetti noodles has around 220 kcals and 42 carbs, while a cup of spaghetti squash has around 42 calories  (yes, I said 42 C A L O R I E S - NOT carbs) and around 10 carbs.
One WHOLE squash might have around the same calories as a cup of regular spaghetti noodles.
It really DOES have a similiar consistency and neutral flavor like a regular pasta spaghetti noodle!

How do you cook them?  Well, you can bake, microwave, and....drumroll please...use a CROCKPOT.
I just found this on www.familyfreshmeals.com !  Basically, you puncture the squash a few times, throw it in the crockpot on low, come back 5 hours later and scrape it out!
For those of you that may have tried to cut or handle a raw spaghetti squash to prep it for cooking, well....it is not the safest kitchen prep exercise.

How do I like to eat it?  Let me count the ways....
On my pinterest page (https://www.pinterest.com/ifuthinkucan/)- I have many of the recipes I've tried...and I love them all.  The Tomato Basil Squash Bake is a favorite as a gift to new moms or for other neighbors in need of an easy and healthy casserole meal. 
Yet, my favorite is an old school plate of spaghetti - no recipe needed - for a quick weeknight meal - my favorite jar of spaghetti sauce (with or without added cooked ground meat or chicken) plus Spaghetti Squash.

Not only does it fill you up with WAY less calories, but it gives you Vitamin A, Potassium and other naturally occurring nutrients.
How do you like YOUR Spaghetti Squash?  I'd love to hear...

No comments:

Post a Comment